Friday, September 5, 2008

My Questions to Protestants 9-5-08

So I haven't gone to a real Bible study in two weeks since I couldn't find the new location the first time and I was at a wedding the second, so I am a little dry on material and newfound theological knowledge. I attended one at another local parish and I must say, it was like attending an AA meeting (never been to one, just have an idea of it.) The whole meeting was about expressing feelings or whatever and since I didn't have the workbook, I couldn't participate so I was glossed over. Next Wednesday I am planning to attend a Calvary Chapel Bible study, just so I can see what heresies they are spreading now... gotta love it.

So, onto the Questions for Protestants. This one is on the Definition of Scripture. While not entirely inclusive in intent and scope, this (really short) battery of questions should provide some food for thought.

1) When the Bible (as we know it today) refers to Scripture, what is it that the Bible is referring to? Surely it cannot be referring to itself!

2) Since the Bible cannot be referring to itself as the Canon of Scripture was not thought of until 397 at the 3rd Council of Carthage, what is the Bible referring to when it speaks of Scripture?

3) How does one know that the Bible one reads is authentic Scripture unless one has been told by someone higher than oneself that it is true and correct?

4) Who sets the Biblical standard for the Protestant denominations?

Well, that's all I got folks. Feel free to respond or provide supplementary answers and whatnot :)

-N8

No comments: