Friday, August 8, 2008

Short review of Confessions

I actually finished Confessions a few days ago and now it sits in the back of my car for those oh so random re-reading occasions. Now, while I wait for everyone to vacate the freaking bathrooms so I can clean up and go to work, I shall write a short review.

I read the book cover to cover, with the exception of the whole "What is a memory?" part. I think it may have been because I was drinking a Guiness at my local pub at that particular time, but it was just so painfully long and I didn't want to take a philosophy class to dissect it so I just kinda... you know, skipped over that part...

This book provided a lot of information on the insight of the philosophy around the year 400AD. It is really cool to see all the Bible quotes, especially since the Bible was assembled at the time this book was written.

What struck me most relevant to my life was his conversion story and the fear in the process of conversion and his in-depth analysis of Genesis, the latter more so than the former. His analysis is very airtight yet gives room for the advancing sciences to authenticate all of it, even though Genesis (nor any book in the Bible) does not claim to be scientifically accurate.

I am not really all that good at reviews and such (though I try) but in any case, I highly recommend this book for anyone and I consider it required reading for any Catholic.

I can't wait to get my Kindle so I can download all these books for free and read them wherever!

Well, got to get ready. Adios for now

-N8

No comments: