Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bible Study 7-14-08

As you can see, this was written 2 days after I attended the last bible study, but luckily I always take notes on the subject :) More relevant though is that today I went into work 2hrs early (drove sister to school) and I finished reading Luke and I am half way through John... my oh my, the things one can find in the Bible!

Also, I am fairly new to the whole biblical scene so my posts might not be the most coherent at the moment but I promise you that they will become more coherent as I progress in my studies.

Anyways, the Bible study for the 14th was basically finishing up 1 John 3. Here is what generally gathered from the discussion.

  1. There is no neutrality in spirituality.

A. Two choice

a) Further kingdom of God.

b) Increase rebellion against Him

  1. Cain and Abel reference

A. Verses 11 and 12 refer to Christians, not non believers.

B. Analysis of Cain and Abel

a) Cain killed brother (Christian community)

b) Lack of Faith (Cain)

i. Cain gave excess

ii. Abel gave his firstling, the best of the best.

iii. Shows greater faith since he has to put his entire trust in God to survive.

c) Cain hates Abel because of his righteousness.

d) Murderer" changed to mean someone that hates another.

i. Reflected in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew.

  1. The 5 types of love

A. In the Jewish language, there are 5 words for love, only one of which is used to describe Jesus. Here are 4 of the 5 words used.

a) Epithumia/epithemia- lust, sexual passion, physical desire. Modern=Libido

b) Fillia- friendship. Bond between friends, friendship.

c) Storgay (sp?)- Camaraderie. Fillia without affection or concern.

d) Eros- Loving desire (“rockstar love”)

i. Many people confuse eros with epithumia.

B. THE ONLY WORD USED TO DESCRIBE JESUS IS….

a) Greek: Agape

b) Latin: Keritas (Charity)

c) No word in English to describe it.

d) Its only description can be said to be the “total, unconditional, self-giving concern for the welfare of another without expectation of return.

e) This type of love is unattainable by humans, even the saints have faltered.

There are a couple asundery notes that were written about other specific passages relating to the one at hand but I do not have the quotes to put them into context.

Until the next Bible study…

No comments: